Following our recent (20/2/18) posting “Where is Option 3 for the Elsternwick Urban Renewal Area?”, GERA was contacted by Council. Councillors had been advised by the Planning Officers that Option 3 did not exist and that Council was receiving numerous emails, asking for Option 3, which Council was unable to respond to as there was nothing to provide.
It appears semantics have entered the picture – various alternate terms (eg. Iteration 3, Version 3, Agenda Item, not one or the other) have been used by Council when communicating with residents requesting updated EURA information. On the other hand, the residents have retained the terminology (ie. option) included in the Draft Structure Plan for Elsternwick.
The Officers Report, related to Agenda Item 9.3 – Elsternwick Structure Plan, discusses the Elsternwick Urban Renewal Area (p. 6-8)
- “Officers have undertaken a significant review of the urban renewal area in order to address the various issues raised by the community….”
- “Officers have therefore undertaken a comprehensive update to the urban renewal section …..”
- “Officers consider that the new plans ….”
We leave it up to readers to decide
- If what looks like a duck, walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck is in fact a duck, and
- How the Duck Test results align with the concepts of good community engagement and open, transparent, accountable and representative government, and
- If Council should defer making a decision on Tuesday to give residents time to review and provide feedback (for all three centres) on the deluge of information provided.
Below are the schematics of Elsternwick Urban Renewal Area which, if available, would have appeared in our previous posting as Option 3.
We also advise that a change.org petition, opposing high-rise development in Elsternwick, has been initiated by the residents. Feel free to read and sign if you wish.